Category : Blogs
Business – 12 Days of Christmas.
I’m sure you will have heard of the Christmas song “The 12 days of Christmas”? Well this month we are using the theme of the 12 days but applying it to our business. If your business slows down over the Christmas period or in the run up to Christmas then take this opportunity to give your business an overhaul and do all the things you keep promising to do!
You can decide when you want to start your 12 Days of Christmas for your business. It could be on Thursday the 10th to finish on the 22nd of December or have a few days break and finish on the 31st of December? Or if you want to keep your business mind engaged then plan to do it over the Christmas holidays and start it on the 20th of December.
Whichever way you do it, consider the following actions and if you can think of any others that are more important to you then add or replace to the ones below. Most of all if your business is quiet at this time of the year use the time effectively to reflect and plan for the future and perhaps even try some structured Business networking by the 10-12 Business Club.
On the 1st Day of Christmas – Merry Christmas Message
Send out a Merry Christmas Message to all your existing clients and prospective clients. Use mail chimp to design a festive mails hot and import your database. Consider
- What message are you going to say
- Include contact details
- Include links to your website
- Consider an offer
On the 2nd Day of Christmas – Filing
Tackle your filing pile and I mean all of it, including archiving any files that are fit to burst! This could also include looking at your in box of your email! Do you file everything into various folders or does it just sit there in one big in box! If you don’t have any filing then I’m impressed. Please let me know your secret to keeping it up to date.
On the 3rd Day of Christmas – Accounts
Accounts. Today, check to see if your accounts are up to date. If you do your own accounts take the time today to get everything up to date including up to date bank reconciliation. If you don’t do your own accounts is everything ready to hand over to your accountant/book keeper?
- Have you loaded all your expenses?
- Can you account for all the receipts?
- Have you invoiced everyone?
- Do you have a spread sheet or software that accounts for all your sales and expenditure? If not today consider creating one to use for 2013.
On the 4th Day of Christmas – Marketing Plan
Marketing Plan 2016. Today start the foundation of your marketing plan for 2013. Do you actually plan all your marketing activity including when and where you network? Think about your business and whether you could set a 6 or 12 month marketing plan including when, where and what you are going to say and how much it will cost you to get your message across. Consider what you are going to use to market your business;
- Social media? Which one? How Often?
- Flyers? What will they say? Where will you distribute?
- Leaflet drops? Where?
- Cold calls? When? Source data?
- Networking? When? Where? How often?
Whatever you decide start to search out the best options for you and the exact costings for your marketing campaign.
On the 5th Day of Christmas – Linked In Profile
Linked In. do you have a Linked In profile? Is it up to date? When did you last update what you have done/achieved/qualified. If it has been a while then go in and make some bold changes:
- add new skills,
- Change your profile picture.
- Update your opening statement to sell yourself and your services.
- Recommend some fellow 10-12’ers for their services if you have used them.
On the 6th Day of Christmas – Website
If you have a website, give it a review with fresh eyes. If you don’t have a site, then consider what you would need to have on each of the pages.
- Does it do what you want it to do?
- Does it bring you in the right enquiries?
- Does it have a call to action?
- Is it getting enough visitors?
- Is there anything you can do to make it better?
- Ask friends and family to do the same for you and compile your results. Compare your site with competitors!
On the 7th Day of Christmas – Blog
Blog. Do you have a blog? Do you need a blog for your business? Do your competitors have a blog? If they do, what do they write about?
- Think about how you would use a blog,
- What would you write about?
- Can you write down 20 things to blog about for your business?
If you can do this in 10 minutes then you need to consider a blog. If you don’t want to start a blog, maybe you could guest blog for others. Search out some other blogs and see if they allow guest blogging, if they do write an article for one of them and send it for consideration. Remember a blog only needs to have 250-500 words!
On the 8th Day of Christmas – Social Media Plan
Social Media Marketing plan. Do you use social media? Do you have a marketing plan? If not then today consider a social media marketing plan for your business. Think about:
- How often you want to use social media in a week,
- When can you allocate the time for to do it?
- Where are you going to find the content?
- How many posts, tweets, blogs etc are you going to do
- Set targets for how many new followers, mentions, retweets you want to achieve.
On the 9th Day of Christmas – New Customers
Search out new customers. Today consider new areas where you could find potential new customers. Have you exhausted all areas for potential new business or is there places you could go, people you could see to get new business? Find some competitors and see who they are talking to in their social media, where are they advertising, what are they offering? Can you do similar? Consider using a telemarketing company to get more business leads for you. We have two members in the 10-12 Business Club.
On the 10th Day of Christmas – Business Plan
Business Plan. Do you have a plan for your business? If so dig it out and review it today. If you don’t have one then consider starting to write one, it can be as basic or as grand as you like. At the very least consider setting yourself some goals and write them down to review throughout the year.
- Does it reflect where you are?
- Have you achieved what you planned?
- Consider what you might have to do next year to achieve your forecasts.
- Do you need to make any changes?
On the 11th Day of Christmas – Emarketing Campaign
e-Marketing or telemarketing Campaign. Design and set up an e-marketing campaign to send in the New Year to your existing clients and find some potential new ones to send to also. Consider your Linked In connections, have you ever sent them a Happy New Year Message? If not give it a try, they agreed to link with you so maybe they’d appreciate a short Happy New Year Message. Follow up with a telemarketing campaign to see if they received
On the 12th Day of Christmas – Review
Review. Take today to review all that you have done over the past 11 days for your business. Give your self a pat on the back and raise your glass to toast the future and the New Year.
- Has it inspired you?
- Motivated you?
- Have you reconnected with old/new clients?
- Are you confident of your marketing activity for the New Year?
- Printed literature planned, costs obtained?
- Business Plan modified or created?
- Social Media considered and a marketing plan produced?